Thursday, November 10, 2011

Etched Glass Dishes

You will never lose your dishes again!

This is an easy way to permanently put your name/design on glassware.  I recently went to a wedding shower and made a 9x13 dish with the bride-to-be's new last name on it.  I hope she liked it as much as I did.  I think I need to make a bunch of these for myself.  I have noticed that my dishes are disappearing.
Here is the process.
1.  Wash your glassware.
2.  Place a vinyl sticker of the name/design on the outside of the dish.  (Since I have a vinyl cutter, this made the lettering real easy.  I just picked out the lettters and left the outside border.  If you don't have a vinyl cutter, you can use contact paper and stencils to cut out your design.)

3.  Carefully paint Glass Etching Cream over the exposed letters, directly onto the glass.
4.  After about 30-45 minutes, wash off etching cream. (The longer the cream is on, the frostier the etching will appear.  I have even waited an hour.)
5.  Wash the glassware and dry it...doesn't it look cool?
You can do this on mirrors, glasses, windows, doors...the possibilities are endless!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

What a wonderful idea. It turned out beautifully. I'm sure the new bride loves it and will get much use out of it. No more mixing up dishes at family gatherings. Thanks for sharing your technique. Your craft projects always turn out so nice.
By the way, Bishop did an awesome job yesterday.

Graham Crackers said...

I just love how it turned out. You guys will have to come over and make some...or I can come over there. Yes. No more lost dishes at the church or potlucks. I need to make some for myself. My dishes are getting lost.