I am a huge hometown fan.
I am also lucky enough to work at my local high school. Often times, I have the opportunity to help
at the high school sporting events. And, as a past high
school athlete, it is thrilling to have the opportunity to step out on the
field again. This past year, I was able
to work as a “Red Hat” on the field for a TV broadcasted football game. “Red Hat” is the term used for the person on
the field that signals to the official to stop the game for a commercial break. As “Red Hat” you are wired with a headset and
microphone to the press box, video team, college scouts, and sports announcers. It was an amazing opportunity for me to hear
what was really being said behind the scenes.
I listened intently, as I had to be aware of any questions that came my
way on the field, or any requests thy might have of me. I lost myself on the sidelines, as tackles, fumbles,
touchdowns, player commentary, and snaps happened just feet away from me.

As I listened to the commentary over the headset, I noticed
that the chatter from the college scouts and announcers was not focused on the
star athletes with the school record touchdowns, rushing yards, or sacks, but
on those key players whose GPA's were spectacular. I remember hearing, “I want a camera on that 4.0
player the entire game. Do not take your
eyes off him”, and “that senior running back has a 3.9 GPA, there are 3
colleges scouting him tonight”. Little
was mentioned regarding those athletes who carried the minimal 2.0 eligibility
requirement for sports. Even though
those boys were the ones that won the games for us, those fantastic athletes
were not even recognized.
It was truly an eye opening experience for me, as I thought
about my own children, one whom would be playing football for our hometown high
school in the next few years. It changed
my thinking. It changed my perception of
college bound athletes. It made me
realize that the biggest support you can give a kid is when it comes to
academics. Encourage them to succeed in
the classroom. Raise the standards in
your home when it comes to school work. Be
aware of tutoring, homework help, and other support provided to students from
the school. Stay connected with teachers and counselors by
email, school websites, newsletters, and phone calls.
A few years ago, the day after graduation, a very distraught
star athlete came into my office. He was
in tears. I asked what was wrong, and he
replied, “Nobody wants me.” I asked him
why he thought that, he said, “My grades
are no good. I have applied to lots of
colleges, and nobody wants me. I wish I would
have done better in school.”
Every school has a star athlete. The Department of Education says that there are
about 26,407 public secondary schools and 10,693 private secondary schools in
the US. And, if every school has a star
athlete, there are about 37,100 star athletes in each sport. So what makes you stand out? Your GRADES.
Any college would take a 3.9 GPA, 2nd string running back over a first
string 2.9 GPA running back, because your grades say a lot about you, and so do
the classes you take. Pulling A’s in
average classes makes you average.
Pulling A’s in AP or Honors classes makes you stand out.
Lastly, stay out of trouble.
When college and military recruiters stop by with their releases for
educational records, they want to know about YOU. What were you really like? Did you spend more time in detention or in
the classroom? They want to know if you
will be trouble for them. And believe
me, they will ask. So, let your transcript tell them who you are, and impress
them with your GPA.
No comments:
Post a Comment