I admit it...I am "Yeast Challenged". I lack the proper skills to successfully create recipes that require yeast. I was thrilled to attempt this simple bread recipe, especially since, THERE'S NO YEAST involved! Since I also lack the ability to follow directions, I created my own version of an Irish Soda Bread recipe I saw last month. Here it is, and is it ever delicious! This bread has a hard outer crust and a tenderly moist center. It is not a sweet bread, nor is the fruit overpowering in this recipe.
Ingredients
• 4 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 tablespoons sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
• 4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
• 1 3/4 cups cold buttermilk
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 1 granny smith apple skinned and diced
• ½ cup frozen blueberries
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, or use a Silpat rubber mat.
Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (not the dough hook). Add the butter and mix on low speed until the butter is mixed into the flour. The butter will still be in little clumps, but don’t worry, that is how it should be.
With a fork, lightly beat the buttermilk and egg in a separate bowl. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture. Slowly add chopped apples into the dough. It will be very wet (Yep, really sticky wet dough).
Dump the dough onto a well-floured board and knead it a few times, just before forming into a round loaf, gently fold in frozen blueberries. Place the round loaf onto the cookie sheet and lightly cut an X into the top of the bread. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean (Plan on 55 minutes for this).
Cool on a baking rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
No comments:
Post a Comment