Saturday, February 5, 2011

Snow Globe

I found a fun idea online to make Homemade Snow Globes.
 So, of course, I had to try it out. 

Things You'll Need:


Clear glass jar with a lid (find one with a metal lid)

Waterproof figurines or what-nots (I laminated some photos)

Aquarium sealant

Distilled water

Baby oil

Glitter



Prepare the Jar

1. Thoroughly clean out the inside of your jar (mine still lingers with the aroma of salsa). Remove any labels (and sticky residue from the labels) from the outside.

Set the Scene

2. Using your figurine or ornaments, plan out the scene you'd like to create. Glue the ornaments to the inside of the jar's lid with the aquarium sealant. Do not glue the figurines too close to the edge of the lid; leave a bit of room so that you don't run into any problems when you screw the lid on. If your figurines are short and need a bit of a boost, glue a separate, smaller lid onto the inside of your jar lid to provide an elevated surface. *I found some pictures and laminated them to make a personal photo in my globe, then glued them to the sides of the jar with the sealant. Give the sealant a few hours to dry before you add the water.

Add Water

3. Fill your jar with distilled water, leaving a bit of room at the top (the level of the water will rise when the figurines are put in). Add a few drops of baby oil (just a drop or two…too much will make the glitter stick together), which will keep the "snow" suspended in the water.

Add Snow

4. Add about 1 tsp. glitter for every inch of water. You can always add more later.
Finishing Touches

5. Screw the lid on tightly and shake the globe. Observe how the snow falls and whether you want to add more or take some out. You may also want to add more water or baby oil. When you decide you're happy with your snow globe scene, apply some sealant to the inside rim of the lid, and screw it on tightly.

*As a special touch, I etched a saying on the side of my Snow Globe.  It says "I'm going there someday." (I did that before I added the water and figurines, so the etching cream didn't ruin the seal on the globe.)



No comments: