For those of you who know me, I can be...well...feisty. I am not a fan of bullies, I am not a fan of rude talk, I am not a fan of gossip, I am not a fan of lying and slander. If you have been on the receiving end of my feistiness....well, you understand. I also prefer to go home and think about things and write my thoughts down, otherwise things can get ugly.
Excuse me for a moment while I step up on my soap box......
This past week, I felt impressed to stand up for our flag and stand up again for truth within the walls of my children's school. (Let me preface with that the event mentioned takes place at my children's high school, where the straw poll/caucuses were held this past weekend.)
Here is my letter to the school board:
School Board,
I attended a meeting March 3, 2012, where school board member Ron Morehouse accepted a flag on behalf of Bethel School District and Graham-Kapowsin High School. It was noticed a few days prior to the meeting that there was only a small, “$3 flag” in the room. The coordinator for the event was disappointed there wasn’t a larger one. The coordinator made a phone call to one of our congressmen. Within 48 hours, just in time for our meeting, a flag arrived from Washington D.C. to be placed in the school. It was a very honorable moment to think of the importance of this kind gesture. I was thrilled that this flag would be placed in Graham-Kapowsin High School. I was excited to think of what the kids and the staff at the school might think of having that flag presented to them.
Mr. Ron Morehouse accepted the flag on behalf of Bethel School District, and immediately commented, “You know, I didn’t even think there was a flag in this entire school!”
I was greatly appalled by his comment. In addition, I think it is important to note that with over 700 people in attendance, that this comment was heard by men and women not only in Bethel School District, but by those whom reside in Eatonville, Graham, Spanaway, Puyallup, Orting, Carbonado, Wilkeson, Tacoma and several other areas. It was heard by graduates of Graham-Kapowsin High School that serve in our military, parents, students, community members, Veterans and Registered voters.
Mr. Ron Morehouse’s comment put a very negative perception of Graham-Kapowsin High School and the Bethel School District. Mr. Morehouse should be ashamed as a Board Member with his lack of knowledge of our schools.
· I know for a fact that every classroom in GK has at least one of those “$3 flags”.
· I know for a fact that the gym at GK has a large American flag permanently affixed to its walls.
· I know for a fact that every morning in every school within our district the Pledge of Allegiance is recited with students in the presence of an American flag.
· I know for a fact that at every school building within our district there is a flag that flies during the school day, and often it is flown at half mast in honor of those who have fallen.
· I know for a fact that many of our schools have students that arrive to school early for flag raising ceremonies and stay late as the flag is lowered.
· I know for a fact that Bethel School District schools have ROTC and Jr. ROTC programs that honor our flag in flag ceremonies in the morning and the afternoon, at sporting events and other school wide events and assemblies. They have also received National honors.
What concerns me most is when I spoke to a friend following the meeting and she could “not believe that there is not a flag in Graham-Kapowsin High School”. Mr. Ron Morehouse’s comment was untrue, and unfortunately, his comment was perceived by many as to be true. Another grandmother later shared that she believed that we “did not have flags at Bethel District Schools”. Mr. Ron Morehouse needs to apologize for his comment and refrain from making false statements on behalf of those whom he represents. Stating it simply, my concern is for the inaccurate depiction Mr. Ron Morehouse presents on behalf of Bethel School District.
Sincerely,
Kelli Thomas
I also attached this photo I took. (I was willing to go into each classroom to count the flags and photograph them all....because I am that way).
ANY QUESTIONS???
I will step off my soap box now.

3 comments:
You go girl!
Good for you Kelli.
Thank you Kelli from an American that loves this country, it's colors, and what the American Flag stands for. America needs more people like you. If you're considering running for governor of this state, you have my vote.
Post a Comment