Thursday, March 8, 2012

Nate's New Favorite Book Series

Finding books that a 10 year old boy likes to read, that don't talk about burping, farting, underwear, snot, or weird household cleaning supply characters has been really quite difficult.  I have been known to call he school library in disgust when my son comes home with certain types of rude reading literature. 
Since Nate is required to attain 60 Accelerated Reader points by the end of the school year, it has been proven to be a challenge to find books that interest him, but mostly ones that are on his level of reading that I approve of. 
At the last Scholastic Book Fair, Nate bought a book by Andrew Clements called Extra Credit.  We started reading the book together and I just loved the simplistic way the author captured Nate's attention. He read through the book rather quickly.  Then, we borrowed another Andrew Clements book from his sister, entitled Frindle.  He liked this one as well.  I began searching for books by Andrew Clements for him to read, and Voila!  That is when we happened upon,
Nate and I would find ourselves in late night reading sessions, discussing the book and the characters in the story.  I love how Nate's attention was focused on the events and characters of the book within the first chapter (and mine too!). I have to admit that I did not realize that this was the first book in a series of 6.  We both kept trying to figure out how the book was going to end with only a few chapters remaining.  I loved his delight when he realized that there would be 5 more books to read.  We just finished book #2 Fear Itself, and he is ready to go and find the newest book in the series, book #3 The Whites of Their Eyes
If you are looking for a great book series for your young readers, Nate and I would highly recommend,
Benjamin Pratt & The Keepers of the School!

No comments: