Friday, May 15, 2009

The Edge

Yeah, I got The Edge…and I am loving it!
A few months ago, a friend invited me to join her at Boot Camp, a workout class held at The Competitive Edge. (I am pretty sure that my husband had something to do with this…) I was intrigued and somewhat skeptical of an exercise class called ‘Boot Camp’. I envisioned a military-type setting with a drill sergeant and people dying of thirst and crawling on the floor in exhaustion.

After a few days of pep talks to myself…I finally accepted the invitation. My friend informed me that my first class was complementary…Sweet… and that I should bring a water bottle…oh, and yes, a small towel to wipe the perspiration from my brow as I worked out. Easy enough I thought, it hadn’t been that long since I worked out. On the morning of my first class, I rolled out of bed and rummaged through the closet for something to wear…my selection of clothing consisted of outdated geo-tech-designed-cotton-leotard-spandex get-ups that reminded me of something worn in Flashdance or a Jane Fonda Workout Video. (Yeah, I always seem to be a tad behind on the fashion scene.)


So, I put on an old pair of black sweats, a t-shirt, my Nike shoes, pulled my bed-head up in a pony….and off I went. Then my cell phone rang…it was the school…sick kid…wants to come home…pick up now…grrr. I felt defeated, but after picking up my 14 year old, we decided that it would be just fine if she sat and watched while I participated in Boot Camp. Besides, in my mind, I thought this might be cool...my daughter could see her mom being tough and rockin’ it at Boot Camp...maybe it would inspire her. So, the workout began…not bad…brisk walk…light jog…little stretch here…little stretch there…sweat…drink…intensity steps up a notch…weights…Guns N’ Roses song…cool…stairs…bands…lots more sweat...running…peanut butter toast not sitting well in stomach…feeling queasy…more workout…daughter watching…smile…friend giving me the thumbs-up…more exercise…more water...more weights…more queasy…gonna puke…nearly pass out in the bathroom…splash water on face…holy crap!...I am out of shape! After a big breather, I headed back out to class and finished up. Well, despite my terrible first encounter with ‘Boot Camp’ I did return, and it kicks my fanny every time...I love that! Every day is a new workout, new faces and new challenges. I even snuck out on the High School Track and ran the hurdles...because I have been feeling so great. (It has been nearly 20 years since I've done that...not the sneaking...but the hurdling.) The Competitive Edge offers all kinds of classes and training for sports. You can view their BLOG HERE and their WEBSITE HERE. They also offer Zumba classes (Have you seen this before? There’s some crazy shakin’ and movin’ going on in that class! I don’t have the rhythm for that spicy class...at least not in public.) The Zumba class is jam packed every day, and everyone raves about it. I would rather stick with Boot Camp…wanna come join me? Just bring your water bottle and a towel, I‘d be glad to come pick you up! Oh, the other thing is that I won a free month’s membership…and all I did was post a comment on their blog's giveaway entry...How cool is that?
Yep, I GOT THE EDGE!

1 comment:

daegan said...

ha ha! you are an awesome writer... i loved the description of your workout... and totally would feel like that if i was in that class. high 5 for doing it! p.s. was your daughter impresssed?