Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Are you listening?

     I attended a class a month ago, and as the class ended we were asked to set a goal for ourselves.  Find something in our lives we wanted to change.  One thing that popped into my mind was that I wanted to be a better listener.  Just listen.  No need to comment as someone speaks.  Just listen...really listen. 
     Today as I filled the car up with gas, I was thinking, and the thought came to me that I should go and visit a lady I barely knew.  I thought to myself.  I like her.  She is beautiful.  She has such a nice family.  She always has a smile.  She will think I am absolutely crazy if I stop by...really crazy! 
     So I dismissed the thought.  It seemed to take forever for the gas to pump, and I thought some more about this lady.  I felt impressed to get her flowers...really flowers?  She is definitely going to think I am crazy!  Oh well, maybe she will understand.  I kept trying to talk myself out going over to visit her.  I watched a deaf girl talk to herself as her dad pumped gas.  I made small talk with a friend who pulled up to pump gas.  But, I kept thinking that I needed to go over and visit her. 
     As I pulled away from the pump, I headed toward the grocery store.  3 times I made deals with myself, that if a particular thing happened, then I would go.  3 times those things happened.  As the rain poured down, the last deal I made with myself was that if a parking spot opened up at the front entrance of the store, it was meant to be, and I would go.  Sure enough, a spot opened. 
     I parked the car and headed in for some flowers, paid, and quickly returned to my car.  As I drove to her home I worked over several salutations,

"I was in the neighborhood and..."No.
"I don't know why I am here, but here are some flowers..."-No.
"Would you marry me...."-No.
"Hi, I was thinking of you and...."-That just might have to do.
     I pulled into her driveway, and her home looked dark.  I parked and slowly walked up to the door.  I knocked.  No response.  I looked around for a place to stash the flowers.  Before I did, I rang the doorbell.  Just as I was about to set the flowers in the milk box, the door opened.  This beautiful lady peeked around the door.  She looked at me, I am sure wondering why on earth I was there...and with flowers.  I don't even recall what I may have said, but she quickly asked if I would come in.  She looked at me and began to sob.  She said that she had been praying that someone would come.  I visited with her for about an hour.  I didn't offer up much to the conversation, I just listened.  I know that Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers.  I am so glad I listened to the prompting of the Holy Spirit. 

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Beautiful story, Kelli. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I loved this!
A good reminder to listen and ACT on the promptings we receive. Those actions are answers to prayers. Thanks for sharing this experience.

Jodi Elwell said...

That's amazing! I will "listen" as well! thanks!:)

Roo Roo's Corner said...

That was no chance! Love it! You are awesome Kelli! Love you!

marcalicious said...

oh thanks for sharing that lovely story. good thing you follow promptings -- that lady needed you as her tender mercy.

and for the record, i think you listen to me amazingly. :)