Monday, March 29, 2010

You

On occasion I fill in as a sub in our district. It is always fun and exciting to spend the day hanging out with kids. On one such day, I was asked to work at the high school, in a classroom of kids with disabilities...seriously my favorite class to work in! I never know exactly what my day will encompass, and on this day I worked on counting...safety signs...writing names...and following the kids as they went to lunch and PE. The best part of the day was going to PE with 'the boys'. We all went out to the track...my 2nd favorite place to be. Now, 'the boys' don't talk much, and weren't required to do all that the other students were asked. The other aides from the class were just hanging out on the sidelines, watching the kids from afar...not me...that is just not my way...I was out on the track with those kids encouraging them to...run 100 yards...skip...walk fast...jump...walk backwards...you know...just move around the track. They were smiling at me and one of the boys kept giggling. I just smiled back and made small talk. He would respond to me in one word answers, and giggle. I giggled along with him. We chatted back and forth, and he continued to giggle. Finally I asked, "What are you giggling at?" He giggled even louder and longer, and with his finger outstretched, he pointed at me and said "You!" Ha, Ha, Ha....I laughed so hard. I loved that day.

1 comment:

daegan said...

kelli- oh, you are seriously the sweetest! you are such an example to me, and those around you. i can already see your kind acts cloned in your children. thank you so much for stopping by today with a thoughtful gift and helping me make the boys beds. i swear to you though... you will NEVER tell anyone how hidious i can be, or else i'll slap you. oh man! i nearly screamed in horror when i looked in the mirror after you had left. WOW! i looked like a homeless person... i'm up all night alternating between domino and boog every night... sorry i scared you. but i SURE can clean up nicely huh???